YOUTH WILDLIFE HABITAT VEGATION SURVEY TECHNICIAN
VACANCY ANN# : STOI-23-043
POSITION: YOUTH WILDLIFE HABITAT VEGETATION SURVEY TECHNICIAN
DEPARTMENT: DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
SUPERVISOR: WILDLIFE BIOLOGISTS
SALARY LEVEL: $15.79 / PER HOUR
OPENING DATE: MAY 18, 2023
CLOSING DATE: MAY 26, 2023
The Wildlife Program has been conducting an ongoing study on elk movement and survival on the reservation. As part of this project, cow elk were equipped with GPS collars and monitored for several years. One of the goals of this project is to determine high use areas during calving season and identify key attributes of those areas. To achieve this goal, the Wildlife Program will conduct habitat surveys to record a variety of attributes at each site, including vegetation types, cover, and disturbance. The Wildlife Program recently received a grant to hire summer youth (ages 16-25) who are interested in pursuing an education in natural resources to help complete this work on the project. The incumbent will be trained by Wildlife Biologists, and work with other youth, to conduct these surveys. This will include going out to predetermined survey sites, using mapping software and a GPS, setting up the transect, collecting data, and taking pictures. The incumbent will also help organize data and assist Wildlife Biologists in other related field work as it arises.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Primary duties include conducting habitat surveys in elk calving areas throughout the reservation.
• Assist wildlife biologists in data collection and entry
• Assist Wildlife Biologists in other tasks related to the project including but not limited to mortality investigations, necropsy, sample collection, and wolf monitoring.
• Other Duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED FOR POSITION:
• Must be able to work in pairs or small group, in rugged terrain, in remote areas.
• Familiarity with maps and GPS functions.
• Ability to identify wildlife species.
• Ability to identify tree and plant species.
• Experience in the use and application of standard computer programs and associated software.
• Ability to communicate effectively with verbal and written instructions and work with co-workers, tribal programs, general public and other agencies.
• Must be able to work with diverse cultural, professional and technical interdisciplinary teams.
• Must be between the ages of 16 – 25
• Must be in good physical condition and be able to work in inclement weather conditions and rough terrain, to include carrying 25+ pounds routinely.
• A valid Washington State Driver’s License, reliable transportation, and tribally insurable
• Experience or classes related to biology, botany, wildlife, or related field is preferred.
APPLY ONLINE: https://spokanetribe.bamboohr.com/careers/201?source=aWQ9MTg%3D
Contact: Sabrina McCoy or Empero Corral
(509) 458-6583 or (509) 458-6527
FAX: (509) 458-6556
Applications Must Be Received In The Human Resources Department No Later Than 4:30 p.m. on the Closing Date
The Spokane Tribe Reserves The Right To Hire According To Its Indian
Applicants Are Subject To A Pre-Employment Drug Test
Positions Considered Safety Sensitive Will Also Test for Marijuana
Positions With The Spokane Tribe Are Subject To A 90-Day Orientation Period