Unemployment Fraud Warning
With COVID-19 creating so many layoffs and unemployment claims rising, so do reports of thieves taking advantage of people and their situations. There are reports coming in about people filing fraudulent unemployment claims in other people’s names. If you have received a communication from your state unemployment office referencing a claim or claim number you didn’t file see the steps below you can take to safe guard yourself and mitigate the situation.
- Contact your employer’s HR Department
- Contact Washington State Employment Security Department to report the fraud.
- Report the fraudulent activity to the three Major Credit Bureaus
- File a fraud report with the Federal Trade Commission
- Keep notes so you have a paper trail you can reference