VACANCY ANN.#: STOI-22-129
TITLE: SPOKANE TRIBAL COURT CHIEF JUDGE
SUPERVISOR: SPOKANE TRIBAL COUNCIL
LOCATION: SPOKANE TRIBAL COURT BUILDING, WELLPINIT, WA
STATUS: CONTRACT, FT, EXEMPT
RATE OF PAY: DOE, DOQ
OPENING DATE: DECEMBER 7, 2022
CLOSING DATE: JANUARY 9, 2022
The Spokane Tribe of Indians is a great place to work! We offer competitive Benefits, matched 401K, & incentives that include; possible Commute Allowances, Flex Schedules, moving expenses, signing bonuses, and generous paid time off, with twenty-two paid holiday/wellness days off per year, plus Personal Time Off (PTO) accrual and cash-out ability!
The Spokane Tribe is seeking a qualified person to serve as Chief Judge of the Spokane Tribal Court located at Wellpinit, Washington on the Spokane Indian Reservation. The Spokane Tribal Court is located approximately 50 miles northwest of Spokane, Washington. The Spokane Tribe exercises jurisdiction over a broad range of civil and criminal matters, including criminal traffic, civil tort, family law, probate, consumer debt, and civil traffic cases. The Chief Judge also serves as the lead Court Administrator and supervises Court Clerks. It is anticipated that judicial duties will be shared with and judges pro tempore.
The Tribe is open to negotiating work schedules, including a mixture of telework and in-person options, to meet the needs of both the Tribe and the Chief Judge.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Serve as Chief Judge for the Spokane Tribal Court. Preside over cases brought before the Tribal Court under the Revised Spokane Law and Order Code (“RSLOC”). Hear and adjudicate matters filed in the Spokane Tribal Court.
• Assign cases to associate and pro tem judge(s) as needed.
• Supervise associate and pro tem judges
• Serve as the lead Court Administrator and supervise the assistant Court Administrator in the setting, amending and management of budgets, and grant management and reporting,
• Prepare and issue written orders, judgments, search and arrest warrants.
• Provide legal research and writing when necessary for the decision in a case in a timely manner.
• Develop and implement policy and procedures that compliment current court policies.
• Supervise Court Clerks to ensure accurate records of cases and court hearings are properly maintained.
• Report quarterly to Tribal Council and submit an annual written report.
• Communicate the needs of the Spokane Tribal Court to the Tribal Council.
• Facilitate alternative dispute resolution.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED FOR POSITION:
• Demonstrated knowledge in current and historical federal Indian law issues, tribal customs and traditions, and code reading and writing.
• Ability to apply laws rules, regulations and ordinances of the Spokane Tribe of Indians, and applicable Federal Law.
• Ability to make independent and impartial decisions after weighing all facts and applicable law.
SPECIAL CERTIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
• Preferred Active Bar membership with no current or unresolved disciplinary proceedings
• Must be at least 25 years of age.
• Preferred a minimum of seven (7) years of experience as a law trained attorney.
• At least five (5) years’ experience as a Judge, with extensive experience in:
a. Criminal Prosecution,
b. Juvenile Delinquency and Protection,
c. Family Law and Support,
d. Civil Adjudications, including complex litigation under the Federal Rules of Evidence,
e. Probate and Guardianship, and
f. Federal Indian Law and Tribal Law.
• At least three (3) years active judging for a Tribe.
• Preferred Active Bar Membership with no current or unresolved disciplinary proceedings.
• Must have a valid Washington State Driver’s License and be insurable through the Tribal insurance plan.
• Must pass a criminal background check, and never have been convicted of a felony or of a misdemeanor involving dishonesty within the past year.
*SECTION 101.630: This position will have regular contact with and/or control over children as part of their job duties.
Must Apply On-line: https://spokanetribe.bamboohr.com/careers/156?source=aWQ9MTg%3D
Contact Sabrina McCoy or Empero Corral
509-458-6583 or 458-6527 Fax: 509-458-6556
Applications must be received in the Human Resource Department no later than 4:30 p.m. on the closing date.
The Spokane Tribe reserves the right to hire according to its Indian Preference Policy
All Applicants are subject to a Pre-Employment Drug Test
All Positions with the Spokane Tribe of Indians are subject to a 90-day orientation period