SPOKANE INDIAN HOUSING AUTHORITY
6401 Sherwood Addition, P.O. Box 195
Wellpinit, WA 99040
(509) 818-1460 Fax: (509) 258-7188
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT #: 20-SIHA-003 TITLE: BOOKKEEPER
SUPERVISOR: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
STATUS: REGULAR, FULL-TIME, NON-EXEMPT
RATE OF PAY: DOE, DOQ
OPENING DATE: MAY 4, 2020
CLOSING DATE: EXTENDED TO JUNE 1, 2020
• Spokane Indian Housing Authority Employment Application.
• Resume with applicable experience.
• Three (3) professional references (employers or supervisors you have worked for).
• All selected applicants will be required to interview for this position.
• Preference to in-house.
• Valid Washington State driver’s license with acceptable driving record
Indian Preference will be applied. Applicants are subject to a Drug Test before employment and at random after employment. Applicant is subject to a criminal background check before employment.
This position is responsible for timely preparation of periodic financial reports for various programs under management including but not limited to programs funded through various agreement/contracts/grants with the Federal Government, State Government, and Foundations/Private Organizations. Financial reports include but are not limited to annual/quarterly/monthly Federal Financial Reports, monthly expenditure reports, invoices and drawdown requests. Assists with annual audit preparation. Assists with the budget process. Completes adjustments in our tenant accounting system (HDS). Audits all bank deposits. Assists with accounts payable and payroll as a backup if needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Prepares periodic (monthly/quarterly) reimbursement requests/invoices for submission to various funding agencies. Prepares monthly drawdown request forms and submits them to Executive Director for review and final processing. Prepares entries to record invoices and drawdown requests. Monitors account receivable balances and contacts funding agencies as needed to solicit payment of invoices that are overdue.
• Reviews monthly bank statement(s) to identify special revenue EFT wires received, prepares journal entries to record the transactions and ensures appropriate supporting documentation is on file.
• Prepares/distributes various annual/monthly/quarterly financial reports for submission to funding agencies, program managers, division directors and other administrative staff. These reports may include
the Financial Status Report (FSR SF-269), Federal Financial Report (FFR SF-425), expenditure reports, A-19 public voucher, and various other reports required by Federal and Non-federal funding agencies. This activity includes verifying general ledger account balances with vendor invoices and other source documents, and resolving discrepancies with appropriate staff. Prepares journal entries to correct misclassifications, record indirect cost or administrative fees, and other general ledger adjustments as needed.
• Monitors program budgets/expenditures and reports major variances or discrepancies to managers and administrative staff.
• Assists with the Contract/Grant Process by reviewing grant proposals/applications to ensure accuracy and completeness. Coordinates with grant writer or managers to submit grant applications on-line.
• Assists with review and processing of service contracts. Ensures all appropriate documents including the W-9, certificate of insurance, business license, etc. are received, verifies that contractor is not debarred by performing a search on website (sam.gov).
• Assists with the Tribal budget process by reviewing proposed budgets/budget revisions ensuring accuracy, completeness and compliance with budget requirements. Assist with preparation of draft resolutions for Board of Commissioners (BOC) approval of budgets and other documents as required. Enters approved budgets and budget revisions in the accounting software program. Provides assistance to program managers/directors in budget management including budget formulation, budget revision/modification, cuff accounts, and account classifications.
• Assists with maintaining general ledger chart of accounts. Assigns fund/program numbers to new programs and inputs them into the accounting system. Maintain purchase orders and purchase order log. Enters and reviews all tenant accounting system (HDS) adjustments. Assist with inputting accounts payable and payroll timesheets in a backup capacity when accounts payable/payroll officer is absent.
• Provides training and assistance to program managers/directors with financial and programmatic reports. Maintains a schedule that lists deliverables/reports by type of report due, due dates, actual date of completion, and other relevant information. Send reminders to managers prior to due dates to ensure compliance and prevent delinquent reports.
• Assists with ensuring compliance with contract/grant terms and conditions, applicable Tribal, Federal, and State laws/regulations and other administrative requirements. Responsibility extends throughout the life cycle of the contracts/grants: development, implementation, and close out.
• Set up and maintain a master file for assigned programs. Ensures files are organized and contain all pertinent information including but not limited to grant award documents, modifications, budgets, correspondence, financial reports, programmatic reports, invoices, closeout documents, checklists and logs.
• Provides assistance with administrative detail and the day-to-day operations of the Accounting/Finance Department.
• Coordinates communication/correspondence with various funding agencies concerning financial reports, financial needs, and compliance issues.
• Assist in annual audit preparations. Sets up an electronic audit file for special revenue programs and maintains it throughout the fiscal year. Performs the close out process of contract/grant programs by reviewing general ledger activity to ensure accuracy and compliance with federal/State/Tribal requirements, coordinates with appropriate staff to resolve potential audit issues, reconciles accounts receivable and deferred revenue balances for special revenue programs, and prepares close-out entries.
• Other duties may be assigned on an as needed basis.
• High School Diploma/G.E.D.
• Prefer Minimum of two (2) years Bookkeeping experience
• Prefer completion of basic accounting courses
• Prefer experience working with construction and contracts and grants
• Must be skilled in the use of office equipment including personal computer, calculator, copier, fax
• Must be skilled in the use of Excel and MS Word software programs
• Must be bondable
• Must be willing to travel to attend training
• Must have a valid Washington State Driver License
Applications Are Available At the Spokane Indian Housing Authority
P.O. Box 195, Wellpinit, WA 99040 Contact: Regina Marchand
Phone # (509) 818-1462
Applications Must Be Received by Spokane Indian Housing Authority No Later Than 4:00PM on the Closing Date
The Spokane Indian Housing Authority Is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Spokane Indian Housing Authority Reserves the Right to Hire According To Its Indian Preference Policy
Applicants Are Subject To a Pre-Employment Drug Test. Positions with the Spokane Indian Housing Authority Are Subject To a 90-Day Orientation Period