VACANCY ANN. #: STOI-20-117
TITLE: GOVERNMENT & COMMUNITY SUPPORT SPECIALIST
DEPARTMENT: OFFICE OF EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
LOCATION: WELLPINIT, WA
SUPERVISOR: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
STATUS: FULL-TIME, EXEMPT, TEMPORARY
RATE OF PAY: $65,000.00 – $87,000.00/ ANNUALLY
OPENING DATE: FEBRUARY 22, 2021
CLOSING DATE: MARCH 8, 2021
STOI MISSION STATEMENT: To achieve true sovereignty by attaining self-sufficiency. We will preserve and enhance our traditional values by living and teaching the inherent principles of respect, honor, and integrity as embodied in our language and life-ways. We will develop strong leadership through education, accountability, experience, and positive reinforcement.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Operational government impacts of the COVID pandemic will continue through 2021 and likely well into 2022. As executive management and department capacity has been and remains overextended due to a sustained focus on remediating pandemic impacts, internal efficiencies and external responsiveness have suffered. With this in mind, the Government & Community Support Specialist position will provide significant, timely assistance in the following key areas of need:
In large part resulting from measures taken to address the pandemic, possible inequities in the ways employees are treated must be examined. This position will analyze areas of conflict, conduct investigations of complaints/disputes, and provide resolution through appropriate means.
Also, primarily due to pandemic caused shifts in personnel and programs, services have been affected and complaints from tribal members have been more frequent. This position will serve, therefore, as an Ombudsman to investigate and resolve external complaints, including development of a more formal process for same going forward.
Pandemic emergency response would be better facilitated through additional supports from this position, as training and/or experience provide. While this may initially take the form of coordinating community assistance, it would evolve into higher-level direct assistance to the Emergency Management Team.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Demonstrated ability to investigate and adjudicate internal personnel matters and external complaints/disputes.
• Proven experience working with tribal members and employees to mediate complaints and resolve problems as they arise.
• Professional knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures of modem tribal government administration, organization and operation
• Demonstrated ability to successfully manage a budget and consider fiscal matters and comply with funding requirements
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple operations and functions
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with and to make public presentations to diverse groups including management, employees, committees, a legislative or governing body such as the Tribal Business Council (TBC), and the general public.
• Demonstrated ability to work with and advise Management by providing accurate, quality information that enables them to make sound decisions and/or develop sound policy.
• Demonstrated ability to appropriately follow codes, policies and established procedures.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple operations, functions and issues.
• Must have strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, through concise reports, memoranda, directives, emails and letters. Must possess and demonstrate good writing, spelling, proofing, grammar and punctuation skills.
• Must have the ability and interest to greet the public and handle difficult situations on the phone in a professional and courteous manner.
• Knowledge of the NICS and Emergency Management processes preferred but not required.
• Ability to carry out assigned duties/projects in an efficient and timely manner with minimal supervision and must be able to handle multiple projects and work within defined timelines.
• Must be able to secure sources of information relating to Tribal problems/concerns. Must become knowledgeable of the types of services provided by the Tribal Governmental programs.
• Must have extensive experience with computer processing equipment and software, including: Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, and other Office Suite software. Knowledge of computers and other office technological equipment must be kept current by attending trainings as directed by supervisor.
• Considerable knowledge of general office practices and procedures. Individual must be highly organized and have good filing skills.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
• A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required, and at least five (5) years successful management-level experience in a tribal government (or) at least five (5) years of successful experience managing a tribal program or project.
• Must have a valid state driver’s license, reliable transportation, and meet Tribal insurance requirements.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide sufficient evidence to show they fully meet the qualification requirements.
COMPLETE STOI APPLICATION, RESUME’ AND REFERENCES REQUIRED.
Applications Are Available At the Spokane Tribal Human Resources Department or can be downloaded at www.spokanetribe.com
P.O. Box 206, Wellpinit, WA 99040
Contact: Sabrina McCoy or Andrea Flett
(509) 458-6583 (509) 458-6527, Fax: (509) 458-6556
Applications Must Be Received In The Human Resources Department
By 4:30 PM On The Closing Date
The Spokane Tribe Reserves The Right To Hire According
To Its Indian Preference Policy
All Applicants Will Be Subject To A Pre-Employment Drug Test
All Positions With The Tribe Are Subject To A 90 Day Orientation Period