VACANCY ANN #: STOI-22-059
TITLE: GIS MANAGER
DEPARTMENT: DNR / FORESTRY
SUPERVISOR: NATURAL RESOURCES
STATUS: REGULAR, FULL-TIME
RATE OF PAY: DOE/DOQ
OPENING DATE: MAY 10, 2022
CLOSING DATE: MAY 24, 2022
The Spokane Tribe of Indians is a great place to work! We offer competitive Benefits, matched 401K, & incentives that include generous paid time off! Twenty-two paid holiday/wellness days off per year, plus bi-weekly Personal Time Off (PTO) accrual and cash-out ability!
Incumbent is responsible for management and supervision of the Geographic Information System (GIS) for the Spokane Tribe’s Natural Resources Department and functions as database manager for the Tribe’s enterprise GIS. Under the general direction of the Forest Manager performs professional technical work for acquisition and maintenance of digital spatial data of high complexity. Work requires considerable exercise of initiative and independent judgment in managing multiple priorities and in coordinating work activities outlined within the GIS strategic plan. Duties include: enterprise geodatabase creation and maintenance, GIS program management, GIS design and analysis, data acquisition and formal presentations.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Management and Administration the Tribal Enterprise Geodatabase
- Responsible for design, creation and maintenance of the Tribe’s Enterprise GIS;
- Serves as the lead database architect and manages the implementation of the Tribe’s enterprise geodatabase;
- Assists DNR staff in developing and maintaining program geodatabases.
DNR GIS program management:
- Develops and updates an overall strategic GIS plan;
- Prepares program budgets and reports;
- Acquires hardware and software to meet GIS and GPS needs;
- Maintains enterprise GIS database servers;
- Maintains GIS and GPS software licenses.
GIS map creation, GIS analysis and data acquisition:
- Produces professional quality GIS visual displays or maps on request by the DNR director;
- Assists program staff in map production as requested;
- Performs GIS analysis on request by the DNR director;
- Assists DNR programs in data acquisition through GPS collection, contract services and interagency agreements.
GIS hardware and software system administration:
- Maintains all Enterprise GIS hardware – servers, PCs, plotters, etc.
- Responsible for all software maintenance related to the Tribe’s Enterprise GIS hardware systems.
- Responsible for the administration of all Tribal geodatabase backup systems and the periodic testing of geodatabase backups.
- Acts as lead technical consultant to tribal staff for the acquisition of all GIS, GPS & IT GIS related equipment and GIS software.
- Oversees the development of new GIS analysis methodologies to provide Natural Resources departments with effective decision support services;
- Coordinates access and use of the enterprise geographic database or databases with other departments of the Tribe;
- Designs and develops project-specific GIS applications or processes requiring programming and or customization of GIS applications;
- Designs, implements, and documents quality control measures for special projects, products, and services;
- Attends project demonstrations, seminars, workshops and other professional opportunities to maintain the necessary level of GIS expertise;
- Arranges, plans and implements GIS training for tribal staff;
- Performs other related, similar or logically related duties as assigned or required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED FOR POSITION:
- Skilled in various operating systems supporting client-server GIS implementations;
- Knowledge of various RBDMSs (Microsoft SQL, PostGres) as applied to enterprise GIS implementations;
- Expert knowledge of the ESRI file geodatabase and other GIS related data models;
- Knowledge of software programming languages including Microsoft .NET (C#, VB),SQL, Python and others;
- Knowledge of Intel-based computing hardware and TCP/IP networking, and peripheral devices such as large format plotters used in GIS applications;
- Extensive knowledge of ESRI’s GIS software products including ArcGIS Desktop and Workstation, ArcGIS Extensions, ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Enterprise;
- Knowledge of Trimble GPS software and hardware;
- Knowledge of GPS data collection, data management and associated practices;
- Knowledge of raster compression and data storage software and methods;
- Skilled in the use of the Microsoft Office suite;
- Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of spatial analysis, remote sensing and cartography;
- Knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS Desktop ArcObjects framework;
- Knowledge of the principles and common standards for geospatial metadata;
- Knowledge of CAD software and file structures, as they relate to GIS applications;
- Knowledge of graphic editing software including Adobe Photoshop as they relate to desktop publishing and GIS applications;
- Knowledge of habitat conservation, natural resources, land management, municipal and tribal government applications for GIS;
- Ability to plan, prioritize, coordinate and monitor the workflow of GIS program staff;
- Ability to effectively plan, conduct, administer and track GIS Program purchasing;
- Ability to communicate complex geospatial concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Bachelor’s degree in GIS or a related field from an accredited college or university, Master’s degree preferred;
- Computer Science coursework or experience in Systems Analysis and Design, Programming and Database Design;
- At least four years of experience in GIS database management, including at least one year experience in enterprise database management or any combination of experience and education that would provide the required knowledge;
- Knowledge of tribal government GIS implementations preferred.
- GIS Professional (GISP) certification preferred.
- Valid drivers license and good driving record for insurance purposes.
MUST APPLY ON-LINE
Contact: Sabrina McCoy or Empero Corral
(509) 458-6583 or (509) 458-6527, FAX: (509) 458-6556
Submissions Must Be Received No Later Than 4:30 pm on the Closing Date
The Spokane Tribe Reserves the Right to Hire According To Its Indian Preference Policy
Applicants Are Subject To A Pre-Employment Drug Test
Safety Sensitive Positions Include Marijuana in Testing
Positions with the Spokane Tribe Are Subject To a 90-Day Orientation Period