VACANCY ANN#: STOI- 20-023
POSITION GENERAL COUNSEL
DEPARTMENT: OFFICE of the SPOKANE TRIBAL ATTORNEY
LOCATION: WELLPINIT, WA.
SUPERVISOR: SPOKANE TRIBAL COUNCIL
SALARY LEVEL: DOE/DOQ
STATUS: CONTRACT EMPLOYEE POSITION/FULL-TIME
OPENING DATE: MARCH 23, 2020
CLOSING DATE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
The Spokane Tribe of Indians is a federally-recognized Indian tribe with a 160,000-acre reservation located about 40 miles northwest of the city of Spokane Washington. In addition to a its various governmental departments, the Tribe also owns and operates several businesses, including its Chewelah Casino, Spokane Tribe Casino, and Spoko fuel stations.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The General Counsel manages and administers the daily responsibilities of the Office of the Spokane Tribal Attorney. The Office of the Spokane Tribal Attorney advises the Tribal Council and the Tribe’s government, its departments and agencies, and acts as the Tribe’s Code Reviser. The Office of the Spokane Tribal Attorney also advises the Tribe’s various enterprises. Finally, the Office of the Spokane Tribal Attorney represents the Tribe before tribal, state and federal Courts. The General Counsel supervises the Staff Attorney, the Tribal Prosecutor and support staff. The General Counsel works with the Tribe’s Senior Counsel/Special Gaming Counsel in managing outside attorneys and assists with complex governmental and commercial transactions, intergovernmental agreements, state and federal legislation, and complex litigation.
SPECIAL CERTIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Candidate must be licensed to practice law in Washington State and in good standing, or be licensed to practice law in another state and become licensed to practice law in Washington State within 6 months of hiring.
- Candidate must have graduated from an accredited law school.
- Minimum seven years’ experience as a tribal attorney or equivalent experience in private practice.
- Litigation experience in tribal, state and federal courts.
- Candidate must have strong negotiation and interpersonal communication skills, litigation experience, and an ability to thrive in an interdisciplinary and cross-cultural work environment; be willing to engage in creative problem-solving; have a commitment to restorative justice, and knowledge of Federal Indian Law, Criminal Law, Indian Child Welfare, and Tribal Law.
- Spokane Tribal hiring preference will be in effect during the selection of candidates.
Applications are available in the Human Resources Department
P.O. Box 206 Wellpinit, WA 99040
Or, Applications can be downloaded from our website: www.spokanetribe.com/employment
Contact: Sabrina McCoy or Andrea Flett
Ph. #: (509) 458-6583 or (509) 458-6527, Fax # (509) 458-6556
All applications must be submitted to the Human Resources Department
No later than 4:30 p.m. on the closing date
The Spokane Tribe reserves the right to hire according to its
Indian Preference Policy
All applicants are subject to a pre-employment drug test