VACANCY ANN. #: STOI-20-096
TITLE: EDUCATION PARA EDUCATOR
LOCATION: WELLPINIT, WA
RATE OF PAY: $17.00 – $21.00/PER HOUR
OPENING DATE: NOVEMBER 16, 2020
CLOSING DATE: NOVEMBER 30, 2020
INTRODUCTION/SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS:
The Spokane Tribe Education Department’s Para Educator is primarily responsible for assisting students within our 477/TANF eligible clients, within our school districts and eligible Tribal members in providing tutoring services. Para will be responsible for working with students individually, and virtually to carry out the student’s teacher objectives and reaching the student goals.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists with program planning to meets the needs, interest and abilities of individual JOM students and 477/TANF eligible students.
- Provide classroom tutoring/virtual tutoring
- Assist students as assigned by the teacher, or by parent request
- Emailing teachers and school counselors as necessary to better serve our students
- Provides student support in core areas including math, history and science, and as needed.
- Able to work with students with disabilities who have established IEP and 504 plans per individual school.
- Works collaboratively with classroom teacher to monitor student progress.
- Take all necessary safety precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Implements classroom disciplinary policies to ensure student safety.
- Keeping track of all tutoring, contacts made, and work completed
- Entering into TAS system all necessary involvement.
- Assisting communication in all schools in the service area to serve students
- Aiding in any grant applications or outside funding to aid our students
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS REQUIRED FOR POSITION:
- Familiar with Summit Learning and other online learning programs utilized in area school districts.
- Ability to effectively communicate with students, teacher and staff.
- Ability to maintain student engagement and acceptable student behavior.
- Able to explain lessons and ensure student understanding of material.
- Knowledge and skill in culturally responsive teaching and learning.
- Able to use technology to aid instruction, assessment and teaching.
- Observant of the needs and challenges of students and promptly engages to encourage success.
- Acts as a model to demonstrate appropriate behavior and reinforces positive behavior.
- Ability to maintain student confidentiality.
- Understanding 477/TANF Education Department programs including JOM Program.
- Bachelor’s Degree OR Associate’s Degree plus 72 Credit hours of post-secondary education.
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License, good driving record for insurance purposes and transportation needs.
- Must be able to pass a Criminal Background Check.
- Experience in working with Native American clientele and understand cultural needs.
- CPR/First Aid Certification (may train upon hire if needed)
Applications are available at the Tribal Human Resources Department
Contact Sabrina McCoy or Andrea Flett
P.O. Box 206, Wellpinit, WA 99040
Ph: (509) 458-6583, or (509) 458-6527, Fax: (509) 458-6556
Applications must be received in the Human Resource Department no later than
4:30 p.m. on the closing date.
The Spokane Tribe reserves the right to hire according to its
Indian Preference Policy.
All applicants are subject to a criminal background check.
All applicants are subject to a pre-employment drug test.
All positions with the tribe are subject to a 90-day orientation period.