VACANCY ANN. #: STOI-20-045
TITLE: CAREER DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST
SUPERVISOR: LEAD CASEWORKER
DEPARTMENT: EMPLOYMENT AND TRAINING/477 TANF
LOCATION: SPOKANE, WA
STATUS: REGULAR, FULL-TIME
RATE OF PAY: $17.00/HOUR – $23.00/HOUR (DOE/DOQ)
OPENING DATE: JULY 10, 2020
CLOSING DATE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
The Employment & Training department incorporates employment services as a primary strategy that leads clients towards self-sufficiency. The Career Development Specialist will be depended upon to develop positive relationships with local employers and be sufficiently knowledgeable of E&T clientele to be able to match E&T clients with potential employers.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop relationships with local employers to establish job creation;
- Develop relationships with local colleges, vocational training centers, apprenticeship programs to establish education and training strategies;
- Provide case management to cash assistance clients, including check approval, collection of job search documents and status changes.
- Provide post-employment services to ensure client success and job retention;
- Recommend client recognition and incentives upon employment, and other employment related bench marks;
- Maintain client employment files that include current resume, job application, contact information;
- Meet one-on-one with clients to assess employability and/or education and training needs;
- Prepare employment and training success plan with client; prepare resume, job application, and other job readiness activities to prepare client for work;
- Provide small business development support, including training, class tuition, or referrals to available services;
- Approve support services to ensure client employability; approve support services to assure job retention;
- Approve support services to ensure client education and training needs are met; approve support services to assure education and training retention;
- Ensure client files are current and maintained in a uniform manner to meet program reporting requirements;
- Be knowledgeable about hiring practices and general employment laws, practices and policies.
- Document client progress through TAS.
- Conduct Job Readiness Workshops.
- Provide employment and training services to year-around youth program and summer youth employment program.
- Conduct workshops to prepare youth for the world of work.
- Perform other duties or related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of Public Assistance laws, rules, regulations, service programs, and employment and training programs;
- Knowledge of human resource practices, policies and resources;
- Knowledge of general office procedures and practices;
- Knowledge of culture and traditions of Native Americans;
- Ability to work independently;
- Ability to use good judgment in evaluating and making decisions;
- Ability to work cooperatively with members of the public and with co-workers;
- Ability to practice tact, courtesy and discretion;
- Ability to convey interests and concern to callers requesting information or assistance with problems related to the various programs;
- Ability to perform basic computer applications and internet operations;
- Skill in dealing with people
- Skill in establishing a positive channel of communication among co-workers, Tribal staff, public and private involved in serving the customers.
- Two (2) years of college required (must provide proof with application to be considered) AND
- Two (2) years of experience with customer service, communications, sales or other related activity that demonstrates ability to promote employment and training to employees.
- Experience working with Native American clientele and understanding cultural needs;
- Must possess a valid Washington State Drivers License, and be tribally insurable.
- Must have computer experience, must be able to perform basic computer applications and internet operations
- At time of employment must successfully clear a criminal background inquiry.
Applications Are Available at the Spokane Tribal Human Resources Department
Or, can be downloaded at www.spokanetribe.com
P.O. Box 206 Wellpinit, WA 99040
Contact: Sabrina McCoy or Andrea Flett
Ph.: (509) 458-6583, (509 458-6527, Fax: (509) 458-6556
All Applications Must Be Received in the HR Department No Later Than 4:30 p.m.
On the Closing Date
The Spokane Tribe of Indians Reserves the Right
To Hire According To Its Indian Preference Policy
All Applicants Are Subject To a Pre-Employment Drug Test
All Positions with the Spokane Tribe Are Subject To A-90 Day Orientation