HUMAN RESOURCES DIRECTOR
|Vacancy Ann. #||STOI-17-102|
|Title||HUMAN RESOURCES DIRECTOR|
|Rate of Pay||DOE/DOQ|
|Opening Date||AUGUST 1, 2017|
|Closing Date||AUGUST 15, 2017|
The H.R. Director is responsible for planning, directing and the supervision of the Human Resources activities. The H.R. Director directly participates in the development of policies and procedures and provides advice regarding policy to employees of the Tribe. Provides support to Departmental Supervisors, Managers and Directors in any way needed to ensure that all necessary functions are completed in a timely and organized manner. The H.R. Director will also be responsible for coordinating the STOI Benefits plans, and all other aspects of the Human Resource Department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Maintains thorough knowledge of Tribal personnel policies and procedures.
- Will have daily contact with program supervisors, managers, the general public, clients, service providers, and the Tribal governmental employees.
- Responsible for maintaining effective working relationships with various entities, which include the Spokane Tribal Governmental Department Managers and Directors, Spokane Tribal Enterprise Staff, Casino Management, and outside agencies.
- Provides Department Managers and Supervisors information and assistance regarding HR procedures.
- Will ensure that all H.R activities conform to the Spokane Tribal Policies & Procedures and Spokane Tribal Law and any departmental procedures established for the Spokane Tribal Government.
- Ensures the hiring process is conducted according to the Spokane Tribal Hiring practices as outlined in the Spokane Tribal Policies and Procedures Manual, and Human Resources Operational Manual.
- Supervises and directs Human Resources staff to ensure consistency in all HR functions.
- Responsible for preparing policy and procedure manuals, compensation system, and consistent HR practices among all entities.
- Responsible for reviewing all terminations and disciplinary actions to ensure consistency of policies and reduce liability to tribe.
- Counsel management with respect to federal, state and municipal regulations impacting employment policy and practices, including wage and hour regulations, as required.
- Coordinates and reviews all governmental reporting requirements and ensures timely submittal.
- Conducts screening of new applicants to ensure that they are qualified for the position they are applying for.
- Conducts reviews and provides approval of Hire memos ensuring policy and procedures were adhered to.
- Responsible for developing incentive program, reward and recognition program for all entities in coordination with department managers.
- Responsible for maintaining all Human Resource Department files. Supervises staff in the general upkeep of all new, existing, and terminated employee files, also all retention files.
- Must review status changes to ensure correct information has been applied.
- Supervises HR staff to ensure that all application files are organized, maintained and purged – to keep an up to date applicant pool so that administrators have a quick, easy access to new hire files.
- Assists all management and employees with any Human Resource problems.
- Performs as spokesperson in employment hearings.
- Communicate with contacts and respond to inquiries in a timely manner.
- Must be able to complete job assignments thoroughly, accurately, and on time. Must be able to prioritize work for maximum efficiency.
- Sets evaluations schedule annually for all departments. Reviews employee evaluations to ensure they are performed properly.
- Responsible for administering the Drug and Alcohol free policy which includes scheduling random and reasonable suspicion drug tests, and administering Last Chance Agreements.
- Will be responsible for establishing Employee Benefits plans, which will include pursuing cost savings opportunities in coordination with the Administrative Director, Executive Director and Tribal Business Council, and will serve as the administrator of the Employee Benefits plans and be responsible for setting up eligibility requirements, and self-administration insurance plans.
- Will be responsible for monthly, quarterly, and yearly departmental reports, along with the yearly H.R budget.
- Will be responsible for updating policy and procedures, employee incentive plans, job descriptions and announcements, assist in developing recruitment campaigns and training programs and participates in special projects.
- Must be able to work with all current software, i.e., Microsoft Word, Excel, and employee tracking systems for preparation of memo’s and spreadsheets.
- Held accountable, to the highest degree, for the accuracy and thoroughness of departmental records and reports.
- Must adhere to the highest level of confidentiality.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED FOR THE POSITION:
- Must have knowledge of Spokane Tribal Employee Policy Manual, Spokane Tribal procedures, and HR practices.
- Must have the ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and have the ability to effectively communicate with employees, supervisors, managers, potential new hires and visitors.
- Proficient communication skills to confidently express self in written and verbal form.
- Must be able to speak in front of large groups.
- Must have conflict resolution skills.
- Must have strong organizational and time management skills.
- Must have strong computer skills.
- Must have knowledge of data base management; able to prepare spreadsheets;
- Requires analytical, planning and business writing and presentation abilities;
- Must be people oriented and able to function in a team-based environment. Must be able to handle stressful situations.
- Must have the ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents, such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals, write routine reports and correspondence.
- Must be able to practice fair and good judgment and have knowledge of the Spokane Tribal Employee Policy Manual in order to provide accurate advice and service.
- Must have knowledge of Benefits Plan administration.
- Must have excellent math skills (calculate percentages, balance/reconcile invoices).
- Must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
BA in Business Administration, Human Resources, or related field AND a minimum of five years’ experience in Human Resources or as Manager or Director, with demonstrated experience serving in a high level managerial or supervisory capacity.
SPECIAL CERTIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Must have a valid Washington State Driver’s license and must meet Tribal insurance requirements. The employee is required to submit a driver’s abstract and proof of valid Driver’s License to the Human Resources Department. Must be bondable.
OTHER APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: Please submit a letter of interest and a resume along with your application.
Applications are available at the Tribal Human Resource Department
P.O. Box 206 Wellpinit, WA 99040
Contact: Sabrina McCoy or Geraldine Abrahamson
(509)-458-6583, (509) 458-6569 or (509) 458-6574
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Applications must be received in the Human Resource Department no later than 4:30 p.m. on the closing date
The Spokane Tribe reserves the right to hire according to its Indian Preference Policy
All Applicants are subject to a Pre-Employment Drug Test