EDUCATION PROGRAM MANAGER
|Vacancy Ann. #||STOI-17-023|
|Title||EDUCATION PROGRAM MANAGER|
|Rate of Pay||$20.00 - $22.00/HR, DOE, DOQ|
|Opening Date||MARCH 7, 2017|
|Closing Date||MARCH 21, 2017|
INTRODUCTION: The Education Program Manager will be responsible for all administrative and management duties including: planning, development and implementation of programmatic and community educational opportunities; staying current of educational issues at the State, Regional, and Federal levels, and effectively communicating with students and potential new students and college staff regarding educational issues. The Education Program Manager will be responsible for administering the Higher Education Program, Tribal Scholarships, Adult Vocational Training Program, JOM program and GED program. The Education Program Manager will also facilitate monthly meetings of the Spokane Tribal Higher Education Committee and adhere to the goals and objectives prescribed by the committee.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Must serve as liaison between the Spokane Tribe, Federal, State Education institutions and external Tribal organizations including the National Indian Education Association, National Congress of American Indians and Affiliated Tribes of the Northwest Indians.
- Develop program support, applying for outside contract and grants at the request of your supervisor, and/or Education Committee.
- Assist local elementary and secondary schools to develop and strengthen Indian Education opportunities for their staff and students.
- Provide Financial Aid, academic, career development and career counseling to students.
- Provide supervision of the GED program and GED instructors.
- Provide direction for community education programs.
- Keep up to date with scholarship opportunities and notify students.
- Visits college campuses to familiarize self with staff members, and students.
- Provides and organizes campus visits with students.
- Will arrange and organize tutoring services for students and assist them in reaching academic success.
- Provides oversight of the monitoring of student files and their status.
- Responsible for the annual report to the Tribal Business council.
- Be knowledgeable of regulations for education programs, and the Higher Education Policies and Procedures.
- Prepares annual, monthly and quarterly reports to department supervisor, Executive Director, Education Committee and the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Report to the Education Committee as requested.
- Provide assistance to other Tribal Programs on Education and related issues.
- Assist applicants with completing Higher Education program application, and assist them with enrollment process to universities, colleges or training facilities.
- Provide excellent customer service to potential students and current students.
- Maintain contact with university/ college financial aid, and admissions offices and staff.
- Must adhere to deadlines.
- Maintain organized file system.
- Responsible for preparing, submitting, and maintaining multiple budgets including the budgets for the BIA Education Grant, JOM, Tribal Scholarships, etc.
- Conduct workshops, orientations, conferences and other functions on behalf of the students and parents to keep them abreast of the latest higher educational developments of the Spokane Tribe.
- Attend workshops, orientations, conferences to keep abreast of most current educational policies and developments.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times in order to maintain the integrity of the Education Department.
- Prepare Student Award Letters for approval to the Higher Education Committee.
- Responsible for adhering to the policies as set out in the Education Department’s Policies and Procedures which defines the operational requirements and responsibilities of the Education Department staff.
- Establish effective working relationships with students, parents, and administrators, institutions, and agencies working with students.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED FOR POSITION:
- Must have ability to plan, assign and assist students in all educational pursuits.
- Must demonstrate ability to express self and ideas clearly and concisely.
- Must have skill in maintaining an organized file system and prioritizing.
- Must have ability to adhere to deadlines and respond to matters in a timely fashion.
- Must demonstrate strict confidentiality regarding clientele information.
- Must have excellent communication skills, and be able to communicate effectively in both oral and written forms.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to work with students of various ages.
- Must have knowledge and understanding of grants and contracts.
- Supervises Education Outreach Coordinator and Office Assistant
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Must have two to four years’ experience in an educational program position or related field.
- Must have supervisory experience.
- Experience in guidance and counseling services preferred.
- Must demonstrate working knowledge of computers and various software packages, including Microsoft WORD and EXCEL.
- Must have knowledge of higher education admissions process and levels of continued education.
- Must demonstrate programmatic accounting skills, i.e. developing and modifying budgets and establishing and maintaining cuff accounts.
- Must have a valid WA State Driver’s License and a good driving record for insurance purposes.
- Must be willing to travel.
- Must have understanding of Federal regulations related to educational contracts and/or grants.
- Must have previous experience working with Native American clientele and understand cultural needs.
Applications are available in the Tribal Human Resources Department
OR, can be downloaded from our website: www.spokanetribe.com
Contact: Sabrina McCoy or Geraldine Abrahamson
P.O. Box 206, Wellpinit, WA 99040
(509) 458-6527 or (509) 458-6583, Fax # (509) 458-6556
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
All applications must be submitted to the Human Resources Department no later than 4:30 PM the closing date
The Spokane Tribe reserves the right to hire according to its Indian Preference Policy
All applicants are subject to a pre-employment drug test and at random following employment
All applicants are subject to a 90-day orientation period