STOI GOV: LEGAL ASSISTANT
|Vacancy Ann. #||STOI-19-030|
|Title||STOI GOV: LEGAL ASSISTANT|
|Supervisor||TRIBAL ATTORNEY, PROSECUTOR|
|Department||OFFICE OF SPOKANE TRIBAL ATTORNEY|
|Rate of Pay||$13.00 - $18.00/PER HOUR|
|Opening Date||APRIL 5, 2019|
|Closing Date||APRIL 19, 2019|
Under the general supervision of the Tribal Prosecutor, the incumbent performs program support functions for the Legal Department operations and activities.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Legal Assistant is responsible for the following duties in addition to other tasks as assigned:
- Pickup and deliver documents to and from other agencies in Wellpinit;
- Answer program telephone and transfer/take messages;
- Perform general clerical duties to include: copying, faxing, mailing and filing;
- Open, sort and distribute incoming correspondence, including faxes and e-mail;
- Communicate with the Tribal Court, Tribal Police, defense attorneys, the public, and other tribal departments;
- File and retrieve organizational documents, records, reports and court documents;
- Open new files; close/archive old files, and;
- Other tasks as assigned.
The legal assistant shall also perform the following senior level duties, commensurate with formal training and work experience:
- Assist in drafting complaints, briefs, motions, and other legal pleadings as directed by the Prosecutor;
- Participate in case staffing to develop recommendations for strategy and outcome decisions;
- Assist the Prosecutor in the provision of training for Public Safety and other departments;
- Provide liaison services with Tribal Court;
- Assist Prosecutor during trial with jury selection and note taking;
- Assist in processing tribal court cases as directed by the Prosecutor;
- Assist with preparing case disposition reports, and
- Other tasks as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED FOR POSITION:
- Knowledge of general office procedures, practices, and computer applications
- Must have the ability to practice tact, courtesy, and discretion with coworkers, the public and officials
- Must be self-motivated, dependable and drug free
- Must possess the ability to work well either alone or as part of a team
- Must possess the ability to operate standard office equipment, including but not limited to computers, telephone systems, calculators, copiers, facsimile machines and scanners
- Must possess the ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Must possess the ability to prepare and maintain records and reports
- Must have ability to read, comprehend, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents
- Must have the ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints
- Must maintain strict confidentiality.
- Must have a Valid Washington State Driver’s License.
- Must be able to pass a background check and drug test.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required, college education preferred.
- Two years of executive level office experience required; legal office experience preferred. Preference will be given to applicants with legal office experience.
- Familiarity with law, legal procedures and protocols, and court system preferred.
Applications are available in the Human Resources Department
P.O. Box 206 Wellpinit, WA 99040
Or, Applications can be downloaded from our website: www.spokanetribe.com
Contact: Sabrina McCoy or Andrea Flett
Ph.#: (509) 458-6583 or (509) 458-6527, Fax # (509) 458-6556
All applications must be submitted to the Human Resources Department
No later than 4:30 p.m. on the closing date
The Spokane Tribe reserves the right to hire according to its
Indian Preference Policy
All applicants are subject to a pre-employment drug test
All applicants are subject to a 90-day orientation period