STOI GOV: WELLNESS DIABETES PROJECT COORDINATOR
|Vacancy Ann. #||STOI-18-193|
|Title||STOI GOV: WELLNESS DIABETES PROJECT COORDINATOR|
|Department||HHS TRIBAL HEALTH|
|Rate of Pay||$17.00 - $22.19 PER HOUR, DOE/DOQ|
|Opening Date||OCTOBER 22, 2018|
|Closing Date||OPEN UNTIL FILLED|
The Wellness Diabetes Project Coordinator will develop, educate and implement fitness, nutrition, and other general health related activities along the age continuum as appropriate for the Spokane Indian Reservation communities and the Wellpinit School District. Education and experience in health, injury prevention, physical activity, and nutrition are essential to help support the physical and emotional wellness of our communities by encouraging a lifetime commitment to healthy eating, physical activity, and other healthful behaviors. The ultimate goal of this position is to work towards preventing diabetes by reducing obesity, increasing awareness of health issues and increasing participation in healthy lifestyle choices.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Play a strategic coordinating role in proposing and implementing diabetes education, prevention, school-based and community-based activities and policy/systems changes related to physical activity and nutrition.
- Provide opportunities for teachers to integrate physical activity and nutrition education into existing curricula, and offer support by identifying lesson plans and coordinating training and/or guest speakers. Provide follow-up support and qualitative data collection about its effectiveness.
- Be responsible for program budget, oversight and project management for data collection related to school- and community-based interventions to measure effectiveness and/or barriers to better student/family health. May include Body Mass Index (BMI) screening coordination, student/teacher/faculty focus groups, surveys, etc.
- Initiate and organize outreach efforts to engage parents in healthy activities related to the school district and both parks and recreation departments.
- Help recruit and coordinate parent and student volunteers to help with school- and community-based events and programs.
- Coordinate with community programs focused on healthy living
- Help instill culture change within the school and community to better promote reward systems, incentives, and policies that make the “healthy choice” the easy choice.
- Identify outside funding opportunities (grant writing, fundraising collaborations with other community-based non-profits, etc.) for further wellness center activities, equipment, etc.
- Utilize tools such as Alliance for a Healthier Generation, Action for Healthy Kids, and Let’s Move to generate ideas and priorities aimed at improving student health for Wellpinit School District and the Spokane Indian Reservation communities.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED FOR POSITION:
- Be able to energize groups and individuals to implement new programs and policies around healthy activities
- Have the ability to work in partnership with various community institutions while inspiring a diverse group of volunteers
- Ability to develop, distribute evidence based educational materials, be familiar with current “best practices” around topics of community health, school health, and community engagement
- Maintain congenial and respectful relations with staff and participants.
- Keyboarding skills, computer literacy and familiarities with applications such as excel, word, email, general internet use.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of Native American culture, traditions, and language.
- Be consistent and present at work in order to ensure delivery of services.
- Keep current and accurate records.
- Generate reports for reporting requirements
- Must adhere to confidentiality laws, maintaining confidential information to the highest level.
- Fulfill roles as mandated reporter.
- Maintain objectives and professional standards.
- Be a contributing team member in a positive/productive manner.
- Demonstrate commitment to mission, values and policies in the performance of daily duties.
- Demonstrate familiarity with performance standards.
- Have a high degree of energy, be physically fit, and have the endurance to safely demonstrate exercises and promote activities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field preferred, OR certification in a health and wellness field, plus one year of work experience in related field.
- Current BLS certification or able to obtain within first month of employment.
- Ability to coordinate and conduct training sessions.
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License and be tribally insurable
- Successful clearance of criminal history and background inquiry.
Applications Are Available In The Human Resources Department
Contact: Sabrina McCoy or Andrea Flett
P.O. Box 206, Wellpinit, WA 99040
(509) 458-658, or (509) 458-6527
FAX: (509) 458-6556
E-mail: email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Must Be Received In The Human Resources Department No Later Than
4:30 p.m. On The Closing Date
The Spokane Tribe Reserves The Right To Hire According To Its Indian
Applicants Are Subject To A Pre-Employment Drug Test
Positions With The Spokane Tribe Are Subject To A 90-Day Orientation Period