The Spokane Tribe of Indians and the Spokane Tribal Headquarters is now located in Wellpinit, Washington. Wellpinit is approximately 50 miles northwest of Spokane, Washington on the Spokane Indian Reservation.
In earlier times, the Spokane Tribe lived on, protected, and respected over 3 million acres of land. Tribal members fished the Spokane River, the Columbia River, and utilized the grand Spokane Falls as a gathering place of family and friends. The Spokanes lived along the river in three bands known as the Upper, Middle and Lower Spokane Indians. Traditional campsites were lived in depending upon the Seasons of the year.
In January 1881, President Rutherford B. Hayes formally declared the Spokane Indian Reservation the new and smaller home of the Spokane Indians. The three bands of Indians were split up and some found new homes, which are now known as the Coeur d'Alene Indian Reservation, the Flathead Indian Reservation, and the Colville Indian Reservation. Today the Spokane Indian Reservation is 157,376 acres in size. As of January 2006, tribal membership includes 2441 people; we are strong and growing.
Spokane Tribal History (PDF)